Kingfisher is committed to respecting the rights of Indigenous peoples, in line with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
We aim to partner with Indigenous organisations, communities and businesses and be an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
Acknowledgement of Country
At Kingfisher Australia, we recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Peoples of this land.
We recognise that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ history and cultures are the foundation of Australia’s collective history and culture.
We acknowledge Elders past, present and emerging as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we live and work.
We celebrate that we live in the country with the world’s oldest continuous living cultures.
The scope of this policy applies to all people employed by Kingfisher and it is each individual person’s responsibility to adhere to this policy.
Any reference to Indigenous peoples is taken to mean Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
This policy sets out the specific focus areas of Kingfisher’s strategy to recognise, protect and respect the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, both within and outside of our organisation.
In all Kingfisher’s operations, including supply chain, we endeavour to respect the rights of Indigenous peoples to maintain and strengthen their own institutions, cultures and traditions, and to pursue their development in keeping with their needs and aspirations.
For our people, we commit to:
- Continuing to develop a range of employment pathways for Indigenous peoples.
- Providing career and leadership development opportunities for Indigenous employees.
- Creating a culturally safe workplace, where Indigenous employees can celebrate their full identity.
- Appropriately recognising and valuing the contribution that Indigenous employees make to the workplace.
For our clients, we commit to:
- Leading by example by demonstrating foundational cultural competency in engagements.
- Listening deeply to our clients when developing solutions for Indigenous communities.
- Providing high quality services that demonstrate why we are the provider of choice for Indigenous services.
As a responsible corporate citizen, we commit to:
- Respecting and upholding the unique rights of Indigenous peoples.
- Engaging with Indigenous stakeholders wherever relevant.
- Respecting Indigenous Cultural Intellectual Property (ICIP) and obtaining free, prior and informed consent before using ICIP.
- Lending support to relevant Indigenous led campaigns and/or initiatives.
- Identifying opportunities to support Indigenous businesses through our supply chain.
- Identifying opportunities to support self-determination, such as through education and employment programs.
- Partnering with Indigenous organisations that align with our values and strategic focus areas.